Syentium ‘do better’ as story is shared globally by Interpol

07th Jun

Leading Worcester technology company Syentium has shared its story with the international criminal police organisation, Interpol – with the help of Ruby Edwards at You Do Better PR.

Syentium designs, develops and implements automated detection of illegal and targeted items in x-ray security screening systems. Its technology automatically detects trafficked animals, protected species, zoonotic items and contraband – something that Interpol is heavily involved with.

So, when founder and CEO Michael Lamb wanted to share his technology without disclosing trade secrets, he went to Ruby and her team at You Do Better to come up with a plan.

Together, they targeted their market and created a video of their story, which has since been streamed globally by Interpol’s Wildlife Crime Working Group.

Michael says: “I’m delighted that our work has been recognised at such a global level and is now being examined by many governments for integration into their systems to target contraband and illegal wildlife trafficking.”

Syentium’s AI software automatically detects guns, weapons, prohibited items, protected species and wildlife trade for security services and government agencies in aviation, rail, fast parcel, postal services, maritime, and cross-border activities without disruption or hindrance to the free flow of passengers or trade at departure or arrival. Interpol has shared this technology globally.

The software and systems are easily installed into current operations. They deliver a low-cost, high-grade performance enhancer giving operational risk assessment, labour savings, and new tools for greater efficiencies in real time without encroaching on manpower resources. Similar detection algorithms are used in industrial manufacturing for inspection and quality control.

The business was recently awarded a Proof of Concept grant, which has allowed it to fast-track the development of these solutions and employ additional local software engineers and a systems designer. 

Michael added: “The grant has enabled us to proceed at an accelerated rate, allowing our work to been seen at a global level.”

The core software has been enhanced by Home Office, Foreign & Commonwealth and European Union Regional Development Funding. Key operational elements have been successfully tested or operated by the UK Border Force, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Jamaican security services and a major international commercial manufacturing facility in the UK and US.

Proof of Concept grant funding of up to £30,000 is available to support SMEs to investigate, advance, commercialise and protect innovative new products, services and solutions. This grant support provides 40% of the total cost of a project, with the remaining 60% provided by Syentium.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Features from the latest print magazine, Spring 2021

  • James Graham on the rise and rise of Odos Properties
  • Worcester journalist Naomi Snelling reveals her sweet-smelling vision
  • Laura Hewett and Ben Mannion on four decades at the recruitment coalface
  • The Sitemark story: how a failed Army recruit became a UK market leader
  • PLUS: opinion from ‘The Warrior’, lifestyle, motoring and more…